Staff Data Scientist
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2023
Airtasker is one of Australia’s most impactful tech companies. Our mission is to empower people to realise the full value of their skills.
Our marketplace creates jobs and earning opportunities for people all over Australia and internationally, leveraging skills that they might not have previously known could provide them an income. After listing on the ASX in 2021, we went global through launching new marketplaces in the US and UK.
Here's a snapshot of where we are up to in numbers:
- We have created over $2bn worth of job opportunities since we started!
- 1.3m customers have used our platform to get stuff done
- 148,000 Taskers have used our platform to earn money
- We have 5.7m registered users globally
- Our top earning Tasker in FY22 took home $340,000!
Interested in joining our journey? We are looking for an awesome Staff Data Scientist to join our team!
Calling all data enthusiasts! We're on the lookout for a Staff Data Scientist to join our crew. If you're all about data, love cracking tricky problems, and know your way around stats and machine learning, you're our kind of people. As a Staff Data Scientist, you'll be the Sherlock Holmes of data, uncovering hidden gems, crafting predictive masterpieces, and creating data-driven products that improve the experience for our users. You'll also collaborate with product engineering, marketing and operations to research, design, implement and monitor machine learning models in our product.
What you'll do:
- Employ advanced data analysis techniques to transform intricate structured and unstructured datasets into actionable insights, leveraging data to enhance product functionalities and user engagement
- Identify potential opportunities and lead the conceptualization, development, and deployment of real-time ML and NLP models, ensuring alignment with overarching product objectives and strategic goals
- Foster collaborative partnerships with cross-functional teams, particularly product managers and engineers, to seamlessly integrate ML models into the product ecosystem and continuously optimize their performance post-deployment
- Effectively communicate findings and insights, both verbally and in written form, to a diverse audience of business stakeholders with varying levels of technical expertise, providing education on our research outcomes and sharing valuable recommendations
- Drive the refinement and creation of new ML-based products, workflows, tools, and automations to enhance operational efficiency
- Lead efforts to scale the operations of the data science team by constructing automation frameworks and libraries that facilitate streamlined processes
- Establish industry best practices encompassing coding standards, workflows, toolsets, and product automation techniques
- Harness the capabilities of cloud platforms and associated toolsets to facilitate seamless data integration, model training, and large-scale data analysis
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior data scientists and analysts, fostering a culture of continuous learning and knowledge-sharing within the team
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Demonstrable proficiency in key statistical methods and their practical application to real-world product challenges
- Strong applied data science experience, with a significant focus on product-centric roles
- Expertise in Prescriptive Modeling like optimization, recommendation system, search or NLP
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS preferred)
- Experience with cloud monitoring tools (e.g. Datadog)Digital product development process
- Experimentation methodologies, best practices and interpretation
- Software trends and technologies
- Proficiency in CI/CD and MLOps practices
- Proficient at writing good quality, well-documented and tested, scalable code (Python preferred)
- Strong communication skills and ability to interface well with other engineers, data scientists and product managers
- Solid understanding of data transformations and analytics functions using tools/languages like Pandas, Polars, and SQL
- Proficient in Python and its associated data science libraries (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, NLTK)
- Experience with different techniques that include predictive models (time series and regression), classification, recommendation engine, NLP/NLU, search, ranking or large-scale embeddings
- Hands-on experience with deploying ML and NLP models at scale, ensuring their robustness and efficiency in a product environment
- Experience with infrastructure services and tooling (Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Designing experiments and interpreting results
- An understanding of business strategies, revenue models, and market dynamics to align data initiatives with product objectives and strategic goals
What you'll love:
Competitive compensation packages
Flexible workplace environment - we embrace flexible working to support different life stages and lifestyle preferences.
Airtime Fridays! - no meetings and no slack on Fridays to allow you to find your flow in deep focus work, invest in your personal growth and increase your productivity.
Connection and celebration - we celebrate connecting as people through regular rituals such as weekly AMAs, annual AirCon and Tuesday lunches. These moments are designed to bring us all together, whether you are local or remote!
A culture of context, not control - we believe that empowering people through Airtasker starts with empowered people within Airtasker.
We are agile and innovative in the way we work and how we grow - we believe in a growth mindset and trying new things.
Learning and development - as humans, we never stop growing - we believe feedback is a gift, and provide allowances to empower you to identify learning that is right for you.
Progressive parental leave policies - we believe that feeling supported to stay connected to both your professional and personal self when raising a family is vital in bringing your best self to work.
Celebration swap benefit - the option to swap national, state or territory public holidays for those that are more aligned to your beliefs and background.
Access to wellbeing support - we want to ensure that you have all the support you need to prioritise your mental health and wellbeing, so that you can bring your best self to work. To this end, you'll be given full access, via our EAP, to regular 1:1 counselling with mental health and wellbeing specialists.
Airtasker credits - whether it’s help around the home or planning your next date night, use your Airtasker credits every year to help you get more done.
Dog friendly office - say hello to Harvey and Frank!
At Airtasker we believe in culture add - that each person is different and has their own background, learnings and unique experiences that can add to the Airtasker cultural tapestry. We pride ourselves on our inclusive culture, and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
To all recruitment agencies and talent suppliers: Airtasker does not accept unsolicited resumes. Airtasker is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job postings or directly to our managers. If you are on our supplier list and have terms in place, ensure you work alongside our internal TA team and do not send resumes directly to managers.