Principal Machine Learning Scientist
Posted on Monday, September 4, 2023
Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Atlassian is looking for a remote Principal Machine Learning Scientist to join our Core Machine Learning team. The Core Machine Learning team builds and deploys ML modelling solutions to increase revenue generation, expand our active user base and enhance internal productivity and efficiency. This is a unique opportunity to work in a collaborative environment and implement the latest advanced machine learning techniques.
Your future team
The Core Machine Learning team sits within the Data Science group in the Atlassian Corporate Engineering Organization. We work with several business teams in growth, product, and many other teams providing machine learning infrastructure and modelling applications. Our team consists of ML scientists and engineers, and provides many opportunities for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and individual growth. The team is split geographically between the Australia and the US, supporting partners across the regions.
You will report to the Core Machine Learning Senior Manager.
What you will do
- As a Principal Machine Learning Scientist, you will lead the development of advanced machine learning algorithms, collaborating with partners in Product, Engineering, and Analytics
- You will lead AI/ML projects aimed at personalising recommendations to improve product usage and increase customer revenue across multiple user touch points.
- Explain data science and machine learning concepts to non-technical, diverse audiences and create a compelling story.
- Be a tech lead for more junior Machine Learning Scientists, providing technical guidance.
- 5+ years of related industry experience in the machine learning domain
- Expertise in Python with and the ability to write performant production-quality code, familiarity with SQL, knowledge of Spark and cloud data environments (e.g. AWS, Databricks)
- Experience building and scaling machine learning models in business applications using large amounts of data
- Experience working with novel machine learning methods, such as reinforcement learning for advertisement recommendation or deep learning.
- Focus on business practicality and the 80/20 rule; very high bar for output quality, but recognise the business benefit of "having something now" vs "perfection sometime in the future"
- Agile development mindset, appreciating the benefit of constant iteration and improvement
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefits to learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.