Senior Shield Engineer - Jira Foundations DevOps
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We're flexible around whether this role is fully remote, hybrid or office-bound, assuming an appropriate timezone overlap with the team (which is aligned with Australian Eastern Standard Time (aka AEST, aka Sydney)).
Your future team
The Jira Foundations DevOps group oversee the entire Jira Cloud developer journey, which includes local development and tooling, builds and tests in CI and deployment to all Jira Cloud environments, including production. Our mission is to improve Jira Cloud developer productivity by enabling them to safely and efficiently deliver their changes.
Your role in that team
As a Shield Engineer you will be the first line of contact for other teams within Atlassian, while also increasing the efficiency of the development teams that you are protecting. You will resolve different requests through our service desk by using your excellent product and platform knowledge, build bridges between our development teams and other Atlassian teams and establish processes, construct tooling and automate all the things to improve the effectiveness of your team and surrounding teams over time.
You will help accelerate our engineering teams by providing a world class support experience and improving engineering efficiency, impact and developer experience.
You will report to an Engineering Manager and be embedded directly in a development team.
What you'll do
- Unblock fellow Atlassians and resolve their issues and questions
- Analyse operational metrics and trends in user queries to find areas for improvement
- Be the voice of the customer within the team and represent their needs
- Run projects to reduce support load and future improvement
- Automate repetitive tasks and improve workflows to reduce toil
- Enhance self-serve capabilities through high-quality documentation and training
- Partner with experienced Shield engineers in advocating a world class support experience
What you'll need to know
- 3+ years supporting engineering teams throughout the DevOps lifecycle
- Modern development and operational best-practices
- How to enhance developer productivity and the end-to-end engineering experience
- How to engineer solutions using shell scripting, Python/Java/Kotlin and Cloud Infrastructure (e.g. AWS)
- How to use CI/CD and DevOps tools, such as Jenkins, Azure DevOps, Gitlab, Github Actions
- (Optional) How to use Atlassian products, such as Jira, Bitbucket Cloud, Pipelines and Bamboo
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefits to learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.