Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Pre-Emption) - Open to Remote across ANZ
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Making recommendations for reliability improvements based on analysis and inference.
- As an individual contributor, design and implement processes, tools, automation, and libraries that service teams can use to improve the reliability of the services they own. For instance, adding a new long-awaited feature in our circuit breaker library.
You're probably a match if:
- You have demonstrated commercial experience working with developing complex, distributed web applications.
- You have an understanding of operating systems.
- You have experience working with a mainstream programming language (ideally python, golang or java)
- You have a solid understanding of resiliency techniques and patterns.
- You can demonstrate coding practices, experience with code reviews and pull requests, and a creative and conceptual problem-solving approach.
- You have strong communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. As a reliability engineer, you will need to share the knowledge, communicate and coordinate changes across multiple service teams.
- Your knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP, HTTP/2, WebSockets, etc. The life of a request doesn’t start inside the backend web server, but rather in the browser of a user.
- You have experience working with microservice architectures in large distributed cloud environments (ideally AWS). We’re hosted on AWS and leverage the tools they provide as much as possible
- You have experience with RPC Frameworks, Finagle, Thrift or gRPC will be a huge plus, but not required; Understanding of how services communicate with each other is crucial to find out where a failure can occur.
Nice to have; Not required!
About the team:
The Pre-Emption team sits within The Reliability Platform Group.
The Pre-Emption Engineer is responsible for enhancing Canva’s reliability by providing the tools and processes to scale reliability across all Canva services. You will design and implement processes, tools, automation, and libraries that service teams can use to improve the reliability of the services they own.
Working in the Reliability Platform Group, you will make recommendations for reliability improvements based on analysis and prediction, reduce the impact of incidents, provide visibility and accountability across different teams, and share knowledge of resiliency techniques and patterns.
To qualify for this role, you must have demonstrated experience working with developing complex, distributed web applications, understanding of operating systems, and experience working with a mainstream programming language. Additionally, a solid understanding of resiliency techniques and patterns, demonstrated coding practices, and experience with code reviews and pull requests is required. At Canva, we value work-life balance and offer a competitive salary, plus equity options, flexible daily working hours and open to remote,
You'll be joining Canva’s Reliability Platform and Infrastructure Supergroup. The Reliability Team is responsible for ensuring that all of the resiliency measures that have been implemented work as expected, discovering gaps and working with the teams on fixing them, and developing processes, tools, automation, and libraries that help ensure the reliability of Canva.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?