Senior Firmware Engineer
Our mission is to improve the performance of athletes and teams, which we do by engineering the premier technology platform for sport. We've been at the forefront of sports technology and science since 2006 - we don't just work in the sporting industry, we are actively changing its future. Our solutions are designed to help athletes and coaches “play smart” in a world where 1% can literally mean the difference between winning and losing.
We work with over 3,000 teams around the world, empowering coaches, managers and trainers in premier teams in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, EPL, AFL, NRL, NCAA and more. We provide the information they need to optimise athletes’ health, game-day readiness, and performance, as well as in-game tactics. Our solutions include wearable technology, video analytics, and athlete monitoring solutions, and we are passionate about helping sports organizations at all levels to better scout, recruit, teach, and win.
WE WANT PEOPLE WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY
We are looking for a talented Senior Firmware Engineer with a drive to build quality products. Based in Melbourne, you will be a key player in the Research & Development team that designs the wearable tracking hardware that Catapult is famous for. You will be working with the most cutting edge technology and integrating components across our wearables and stadium infrastructure. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the primary responsibility of the Senior Firmware Engineer is to develop firmware solutions for the elite sports industry. You will be responsible for the firmware development cycle and to ensure that our products have a high level of quality.
We believe that our customers deserve to have the leading wearable technology and we are on a mission to make the most invisible wearables and enhance their performance through consistently adding new measurements that have never been possible before. Our firmware engineers drive this ethos by making sure all of this technology comes together in a way our customers love to use.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Bring up new hardware from scratch and develop device trees and boot chains.
- Develop wireless firmware for ARM Cortex hardware platforms.
- Track tasks using bug tracking software.
- Document your work in a shared knowledge base platform.
- Influence the hardware design of future products.
- Work with test engineers to resolve issues.
- Work in multidisciplinary teams and interface with other engineers in our team and across various disciplines.
- Take part in firmware engineering “chapters” where best practice is shared amongst other firmware engineers within the business.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Formal qualifications in electronics or software engineering.
- At least 5 years of firmware development experience.
- Demonstrated experience programming with C, C++ and Python.
- Demonstrated experience with common wireless communications standards and protocols, such as BLE, Wi-Fi and long range/low bit rate applications
- Experience developing products, scaling them and supporting them throughout the entire lifecycle.
- Experience bringing up new hardware from scratch.
- Experience with Atlassian’s platform for defect tracking and documentation is highly desired.
- Experience with Git source code management..
- Experience in signal processing and algorithm design is highly desired.
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems is desired, particularly Yocto.
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Proven self-starter.
- Ability to prioritise and a “can-do” attitude.
- Occasionally providing technical support to customers (which may be on the weekend or after hours).
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the most ambitious and intelligent people in an exciting industry, and you will do some of the best work of your life.
- We encourage our people to have constructive, open and honest communication in order to make Catapult extraordinary; innovate and create smart solutions; establish a collaborative, yet challenging, environment to develop our performance and the performance of our customers.
- Our workforce spans more than 20 countries, you'll have the opportunity to work across multiple nationalities and cultures, and build your global awareness and capability
- We value improvement and development. We are challenging ourselves to continuously grow and become a high-performance company. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do, and our people are always looking for ways to do things better. There is unlimited opportunity to grow, do more, and do better.
Whether you’re interested in sports or not, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing your work is supporting some of the most successful teams and athletes on the planet! While we have access to many exciting opportunities, we also realise that we are here to do a very important job for our customers. As a result, we aim to work with purpose and intention. We look for people that can add to our team culture, those who actively contribute and individuals who are excited about what they do.
In order to build the future of sports performance, we need the brightest talent in order to do so. If you think you can contribute to the empowering, enjoyable and exciting Catapult environment, then we invite you to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to Catapult's positive prehire check. To find out more, please contact the Talent Partner for this role.