Development Team Lead - Java / React
Come shape the future of education with us.
We are Compass - smart school management in one connected platform. We believe that time spent in the classroom should be for learning and teaching.
Our two co-founders John and Lucas met over a team lunch and while chowing down on their cafeteria sandwiches they bonded over their unapologetically nerdy love for education technology. After months of white-boarding and long days spent writing thousands of lines of code, Compass 1.0 came to life in 2009 in Lucas’ parents' garage.
Fast forward a decade - it’s no longer just John and Lucas eating sandwiches at the lunch table. Our school management ecosystem is now used in more than 2,000 schools across Australia and beyond. We’re joined by over 200 members of the Compass team, delivering smart school management solutions around the world.
About the Role & Team
We’re looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our Timetabling team as a Development Team Lead.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading a team that designs, engineers and maintains secure, scalable software that's used by thousands of customers all over the world.
We are looking for someone with a combination of passion for software development, people leadership, and stakeholder engagement. This role will focus on creating a high quality product that is maintainable and ever evolving.
This team works to evolve our new timetabling module, Griddle, where you'll focus on features including: Course Selection, Class List Management, Timetable Generation and much more.
What you’ll do:
- Constantly evolving your team’s technical capabilities by ensuring they are up to date with modern engineering practices.
- Inspiring quality and best practices by championing software craftsmanship, clean code and pair programming.
- Meeting regularly with your team members to provide performance feedback, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Managing the capacity and velocity of your team, conducting recruitment tasks when needed.
- Owning the teams’ responsibility to ensure customers receive an uninterrupted service and an overall positive experience using the software.
- Fostering a culture of openness and engagement to ensure that all team members are heard equally, feel appreciated and are committed to driving the success of your software.
- Talking to and understanding our customers and collaborate with Product Owners and Designers on shaping our products to help solve their problems.
- Working closely with Development Managers to ensure your team has the capacity to reach their goals and support our architectural vision.
- Contributing to our diverse and inclusive culture and taking pride in doing work that is truly impactful and makes a real difference.
What you'll bring:
- Proven experience in both Java (Back-end) and React/Typescript (Front-end).
- A passion for coaching, mentoring and growing a team of talented people.
- A keen interest in developing a high-quality product while meeting company objectives with other talented developers.
- Passion about software development - actively keep up to date with new tech.
- Extensive experience troubleshooting complex software systems and can identify when a problem is worth solving for the customer and the business.
- Pride and ownership over the software you build.
What's in it for you?
- Meaningful work in a rewarding industry that allows you to contribute to a mission that you believe in.
- Flexible working culture - flexi-hours, hybrid working environment.
- Professional development opportunities & funding.
- Parental Leave Program for both primary and secondary carers
- 24/7 access to our Employment Assistance Program (EAP) through the means of face-to-face, livechat and phone support.
- Team monthly social events and weekly free lunches (Melbourne).
It is a really exciting time to join Compass. We are growing fast and need people who want to grow with us. Compass is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Prior To Commencing Employment, You Require:
- a valid Employee Working With Children Check
- verification of unrestricted work rights in Australia, eg citizenship, passport, or birth certificate