Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2023
Cover Genius is a Series D insurtech that protects the global customers of the world’s largest digital companies including Booking Holdings, owner of Priceline, Kayak and Booking.com, Intuit, Uber, Hopper, Ryanair, Turkish Airlines, Descartes ShipRush, Zip and SeatGeek. We’re also available at Amazon, Flipkart, eBay, Wayfair and SE Asia’s largest company, Shopee. Our partners integrate with XCover, our award-winning insurance distribution platform, to embed protection for millions of customers worldwide each year.
Our team and products have been recognized with dozens of awards including by the Financial Times which ranked Cover Genius as the #1 fastest-growing company in APAC in 2020. Our diverse team across 20+ countries and many language groups commit itself to diverse cultural programs, in particular “CG Gives” which makes social entrepreneurs out of us all and funds development initiatives in global communities.
Our People are
Bold, Authentic, Purposeful and Inspired
Our People are not
Perfect, Traditional, Complacent or Cautious
Cover Genius is looking for an experienced counsel to join our Legal Team to support the company’s growing business and provide support as we scale. The Legal Counsel will be a key advisor on legal issues concerning complex business transactions involving the sale of insurance and warranty products in the APAC region of Cover Genius. The Legal Counsel will assist in negotiating with critical partners and problem solving with a broad range of commercial partners. As a team member of an innovative insurance intermediary involved in transactions across the globe, the Legal Counsel will work cross functionally with the partnerships, insurance, marketing, compliance, product, and engineering teams to apply their expertise and practical advice.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of complex commercial agreements (including distribution agreements, insurance partnership agreements, reinsurance agreements, and nondisclosure agreements) that support and enable our global business operations.
- Maintain and improve upon the company’s standard agreements and playbooks.
- Provide business-oriented advice by balancing risks and business rewards.
- Draft and review RFP responses.
- Assist internal team and external counsel in corporate governance, employment and compensation, capital markets and intellectual property matters.
- Depth of understanding in the global insurance industry and applicable regulations.
- Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties.
Qualifications & experience:
- Licensed to practice law in Australia.
- L.L.M. from an American law school is preferred.
- 2+ years of contracts drafting and negotiation experience. Experience within an insurance practice or relevant in-house experiences are preferred.
- Proven establishment of effective relationships with business partners and peers to understand their business drivers and strategic priorities.
- Sound business judgment and adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters and conflicting deadlines.
- Resourceful and creative
- A people person with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work in a fast paced workplace/company, complying with short internal SLAs
- Able to multitask and prioritize work