Subject Matter Expert for Applied Finance
About Curio Faculty
Curio, a leading education consulting and learning experience company, works with universities, vocational education providers, schools and companies to drive change through learning.
We have led the online learning transformation of many of our clients and partners through a focus on the creation of exceptional learning experiences, through course design and online facilitation.
Curio Faculty provides quality education services to universities, vocational education providers, other higher education providers, and corporate partners and not for profits.
We are passionate educators who believe in the power of expert content development and online facilitation to deliver exceptional learner outcomes.
THIS IS A FULLY REMOTE OPPORTUNITY
A subject-matter expert (SME) is a person who is an authority in an area, topic or discipline.
SMEs are engaged to assist the development or re-development of a course (subject). They may contribute, author, research and provide a high level of assistance as well as expertise in the development or re-development of the course.
SMEs may collaborate with Learning Designers and Course Coordinators during the development or re-development of courses. This may include updating an existing course or the assessments within an existing course, creating a course map for a new course, developing a prototype, and building a full course.
SMEs are often sourced from industry, consultancies, partner organisations, or recruitment organisations.
The fully-online Masters of Applied Finance is a comprehensive program for professionals who want not only the fundamental financial knowledge on corporate finance and investments, but also the specialized knowledge of equity valuation, fixed-income, and derivatives, among others. In addition to the eight core courses in this program, students can take up to four elective courses from the areas of fintech, analytics, and management, to complement their finance knowledge. This comprehensive program provides students with the specialist technical knowledge and critical skills necessary to operate effectively in ever-changing local and global markets. It also adds quantitative analysis to our students’ skill set, giving them a competitive edge when applying for senior management positions. All the core courses in this program are aligned with the CFA curriculum, allowing graduates to position themselves well to pursue the CFA designation – a globally respected and recognised investment credential. The possible career paths for our graduates include, but are not limited to (i) managerial positions such as portfolio manager, risk manager, compliance manager, funds manager and investment manager, (ii) analytical analyst roles, including investment analyst, financial risk analyst, business analyst and compliance analyst, and (iii) adviser or consultant, including corporate finance adviser and investment consultant.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Business knowledge: Students will make informed and effective selection and application of knowledge in a discipline or profession, in the contexts of local and global business
- Problem solving: Students will define and address business problems, and propose effective evidence-based solutions, through the application of rigorous analysis and critical thinking.
- Business communication: Students will harness, manage and communicate business information effectively using multiple forms of communication across different channels.
- Responsible business practice: Students will develop and be committed to responsible business thinking and approaches, which are underpinned by ethical professional practice and sustainability considerations.
- Global and cultural competence: Students will be aware of business systems in the wider world and actively committed to recognise and respect the cultural norms, beliefs and values of others, and will apply this knowledge to interact, communicate and work effectively in diverse environments.
- Leadership development: Students will develop the capacity to take initiative, encourage forward thinking and bring about innovation, while effectively influencing others to achieve desired results.
- Portfolio Management
- Corporate Finance
- International Finance
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Equity Valuation
- Fixed Income
- Ethics and Professional Standards
- Financial Management
- Business Economics
- Law, Regulation and Ethics
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Introductory Data Analysis
- FinTech Ecosystem and Industry Insights
- Decentralised Finance
- Technical Tools for FinTech
- Data Management for FinTech
- Robo-Advisory and Portfolio Optimisation
- Tech Disruption in Payments and Transfers
- Tech Disruption in Funding and Lending
- Principles of Programming
Key responsibilities and Duties:
- Participate in workshops to map out the overall curriculum and course architecture, the assessment strategy in overview, and the more finely grained structure of individual learning activities
- Participate, as required, in workshops or conversations with clients, partners and industry to mine their expertise and understand how they will be able to contribute
- Work with Learning Designer to design activities, develop authentic and engaging learning activities, create performance tasks and identify opportunities for automated formative feedback
- Write course content based on a pre-agreed course map, ensuring appropriate referencing
- Deliver course content according to project timelines
- Assist in planning for the development of bespoke videos, writing interview questions/prompts
- Communicating with University librarians around resources to be located / cleared
- Identify resources to be used
- Communicate with graphic designers on images to be designed for the course
- Source contemporary course content material
- Write assessment tasks and rubrics with the learning designer and/or learning and teaching experts from partner/client and creating any assessment materials such as case studies or data sets
- Quality assurance of each learning activity in the final learning design from a SME perspective
- Incorporate feedback and changes as required by the client/partner
Objectives of this role:
This role of Subject Matter Expert (SME) is primarily to provide relevant subject matter content for online courses. The SME works in close collaboration with Learning Experience Designers and Developers and partners/clients to develop meaningful and engaging courses, support resources and learning experiences based on the objectives and learning outcomes of the learning experience. The design and development of learning experiences is typically closely project managed but also dynamic and fast paced, to achieve project deadlines, and entails highly developed communication and collaboration.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Should have a Master/PhD and working experience in related areas
- Have experience in course developmentt
- Online teaching experience in a relevant field, tertiary level is highly desirable
- Experience in curriculum design, online course content development is highly desirable
- Contemporary Industry and/or professional practice experience and currency in relevant field
- Contemporary knowledge of e-learning trends and student learning is highly desirable
- Ability to write course content that is responsive to the learner audience
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality teaching in delivery; an ability to lead a workshop and facilitate in an engaging and original way.
- Ability to work as part of a team with Learning Experience Designers and Developers and Clients/Partners
- An interest in online learning pedagogy
- Hold a solutions-oriented approach
- Ability to self-manage time, and to work to deadlines
- Openness and ability to receive feedback, incorporating input from diverse perspectives
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Key Selection Criteria
- SMEs must have at least 5 years experience in a relevant area, topic or discipline or related field if the topic area is new or developing
- Must be an industry leader or thought leader in the relevant area, topic or discipline
- Experience running workshops and/or presenting at conferences or industry events
- Will happily collaborate with Learning Designers and Course Coordinators
- Has an understanding/passion for online learning and online pedagogy
- Excellent communication skills
- Can work towards milestones and deadlines - course map, prototype, full course
- Enjoys telling a story - narrative, structure, sequencing
- Can think outside the box to reimagine a course vision, mission and objectives
- Flexible and online work with mostly evening and weekend hours required
Something looks off?