Online Facilitators for Sustainable Cooling: Building Resilience to Extreme Heat
Expression of Interest for Online Facilitator for Sustainable Cooling: Future of Sustainable Business
ABOUT CURIO FACULTY
Curio, a leading education consulting and learning experience company, works with universities, vocational education providers, schools and companies to drive change through learning.
We have led the online learning transformation of many of our clients and partners through a focus on the creation of exceptional learning experiences, through course design and online facilitation.
Curio Faculty provides quality education services to universities, vocational education providers, other higher education providers, and corporate partners and not for profits.
We are passionate educators who believe in the power of expert content development and online facilitation to deliver exceptional learner outcomes.
Our client is working to deliver a series of professional development courses in the field of sustainability. These courses are aimed at busy working professionals keen to develop and enhance their careers in sustainability from a broad range of professional settings and geographies. Our client is at the intersection of business and the environment – working on practical and solutions-focused research for a cleaner, fairer and more prosperous future; themes include sustainability, net zero, the circular economy, environmental economics, systems thinking and achieving positive environmental, social and governance outcomes.
Course Facilitators support learners through engagement and feedback utilising a bespoke Virtual Learning Environment and are critical to learner success and satisfaction. Course Facilitators typically engage learners through email communication, discussion forums, live online sessions and through feedback on formative and summative assessments. It is essential that Course Facilitators have a broad range of knowledge on drivers of extreme heat and the delivery of sustainable cooling solutions.
Our client is seeking a committed, well organised, and knowledgeable Course Facilitator, ideally with experience of online teaching and learning. You will be a subject matter expert in climate change, its consequences and adaptations necessary for sustainable cooling, and you will have an interest in supporting professional learners to develop and to share your knowledge, experience, and perspectives in a supportive and inclusive environment.
- Postgraduate qualification(s) in engineering, natural science, the built environment, environmental science, economics or similar topics relevant to the issues of cooling, or undergraduate level with significant professional experience
- At least 5 years professional experience at a senior level in roles either focused on, or directly related to sustainability, environment or climate change
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of teaching and supporting adult learners either within higher education or equivalent mentoring professional level
- Evidence of teaching, providing feedback and supporting learning online
- Excellent communicator, able to demonstrate a passion for the subject and willingness to share expertise and knowledge with others
- Confident and adaptable with the use digital technologies.
- Availability to support live sessions with suitable technology (high-speed internet, camera, microphone).
- A doctorate in a field directly relevant to the issues of extreme heat and cooling
- Evidence of relevant scholarship and/or research activity and/or current professional work in an aspect of resilience to extreme heat and sustainable cooling
- Ability to adapt to new systems and processes quickly.
Start of Teaching: 7 October 2023
Deadline for Applications: 30 July 2023
Payrate: £40-45/hour depending on experience
Required Facilitators: 2-3
Please could you provide recent professional examples with specific views/actions/experience/knowledge/outcomes and evidence of addressing an audience who are interested in sustainability topics e.g., aware of topics in the news, but are unfamiliar with acronyms.
Assume that the five questions will be read without further reference to the CVs so include employers and dates as necessary for context.
1. In the last three years, what are your professional experiences and knowledge of the need for and implementing sustainable cooling solutions, include both the scientific principles and application within your subject area?
2. In your professional experience, provide two examples of how your work can be applied to building resilience to extreme heat.
3. In your most recent teaching experience, can you give two or three specific module titles that you have taught and your preferred/ideal topic to teach?
4. Can you summarise your experience in giving feedback and encouraging/developing learners in an online environment?
5. Give an example of how you have adapted your approach to support part-time students or those returning to education?
Objectives of this role:
Online Facilitators (also referred to as Academic Tutors) provide online teaching delivery of client/partner online programs and courses in vocational education and higher education.
The role of the Online Facilitator/Academic Tutor is to deliver courses in accordance with the course design and requirements and client/partner policies and procedures. Online facilitators are not required to establish curriculum, develop course content and assessments, or develop marking schemes.
The role is responsible for engaging and supporting learners/students to ensure quality student learning experiences.
All Online Facilitators/Academic Tutors are required to maintain Teaching Pulse Student Satisfaction
=>4 and end of teaching period evaluation standards set by the client/partner.
- Planning, scheduling and delivery of live and/or recorded webinar sessions and activities in accordance with course design or as directed by the Course Coordinator.
- Delivery of planned academic content in accordance with course design.
- Facilitating learning activities in accordance with course content and design, including discussion forum and assessment tasks (including e-moderation, assessment, and feedback)
- Deliver assessment marking and feedback for approximately three assessments per teaching period.
- Engage with and attend assessment moderation processes and submit assessment results as directed by the Course Coordinator.
- Attend course administration meetings, typically three per teaching period.
- Provide prompt communication responses with students via relevant and endorsed communication channels.
- Be accessible to students seeking individual assistance with their studies, at a level consistent with the learning needs of the student cohort, and in adherence to the academic support and intervention services provided by client.
- Participate in coaching and peer learning sessions
Online learning is an intensive learning experience for both the students and the online facilitator. You will be provided with a great deal of support from The Faculty and our client in order to deliver a great student experience.
Skills and Qualifications:
Online Facilitators/Academic Tutors must have:
- A Master’s degree and/or Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline (in line with TEQSA AQF+1 requirements), and/or
- Substantial work or practice-based experience, and significant industry experience in the related subject matter
- Demonstratable currency in skills and contemporary teaching and learning experience relevant to the discipline they are teaching and facilitating, online is highly regarded
- Academic profile reflecting the teaching capacity required to lead students in intellectual inquiry suited to the nature and expected learning outcomes of each Course
- Demonstrated active engagement in continuing scholarship or industry activity relevant to the discipline they are teaching and facilitating where delivering higher degrees such as postgraduate awards (e.g., Masters)
- Knowledge of contemporary developments in the relevant discipline of the Course informed by their own continued learning or practice
- Sufficient proficiency with the relevant software and other technology required to perform their role effectively
- High level written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organisation & planning skills
- Confidence and resourcefulness in learning new technologies
- Experience using Learning Management Systems
- The ability to demonstrate high levels of empathy for the challenges experienced by online students
- A passion for helping online students succeed both academically and personally
- A current Working with Children Check in accordance with Client/Partner Policy, if Client/Partner notifies Curio of any students who are under 18 years of age (includes all academic staff, regardless of level they are teaching or age of students)
- Flexible and online work with mostly evening and weekend hours required