Senior Vice President of Research
At Loam, we have the earth in our hands. As a team of scientists, farmers, and entrepreneurs, we are on a mission to improve the world's farmland and address climate change. By developing microbial technology, we aim to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and build carbon in agricultural soils. Our goal is to help farming businesses prosper by boosting yield, enhancing soil health, and enabling access to carbon markets.
As a fast-paced and multidimensional startup, Loam offers a supportive and diverse workplace where every team member is encouraged to learn and grow beyond their area of expertise. Regardless of the role, everyone at Loam shares one job: to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and store it stably in farmer's soils.
This is more than just a job — this is our life’s work.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly qualified Senior Vice President of Research to lead our scientific endeavours and help us drive the company's growth in the agricultural biologicals sector. The Senior Vice President of Research will take responsibility for identifying opportunities to develop new products and improve existing product lines, while also continually improving R&D functional capabilities. They will be a key member of Loam’s global leadership team where they will shape the company's scientific vision and strategy. This position requires a leader who possesses broad scientific expertise, has an established track record of project management, and can effectively grow, develop and manage cross-functional teams.
This position can be based in either Sydney, NSW or Orange, NSW. We are open to applications from international candidates.
- Develop and implement an R&D strategy that is in line with both present and future R&D outputs, aligning with the company's long-term goals, market trends, and customer requirements.
- Promote innovation, ensure high-quality execution, and uphold scientific excellence throughout the research and development process.
- Lead a diverse team of scientists, researchers, and technical experts, nurturing a culture of collaboration, creativity, and continuous learning, while emphasizing the importance of producing quality research.
- Establish and manage a diverse portfolio of research projects, focusing on delivering valuable insights and innovations. This includes overseeing project prioritization, resource distribution, and ensuring effective execution of R&D tasks in cross-functional projects.
- Offer technical leadership in designing and conducting experiments and data analysis. Ensure comprehensive documentation of research activities and outcomes, and prepare technical reports to a standard suitable for peer-reviewed journals.
- Stay informed about industry advancements and market shifts to identify opportunities for collaborations and investments. Build and maintain strategic relationships with academic institutions, research organizations, and industry partners.
- Oversee the research budget, ensuring it aligns with both immediate and long-range objectives. This involves efficient resource allocation and maximizing fund utilization, while regularly monitoring and reporting on research performance metrics.
- Work closely with legal and intellectual property teams to secure IP rights, ensuring compliance with patents and regulatory standards, and maximizing the value of the company's intellectual property.
- Act as a representative and thought leader in scientific conferences and industry forums, showcasing the company's scientific contributions and dedication to sustainability. Use insights from various interactions to enhance innovation and research at Loam.
- Ph.D. in a related scientific discipline (e.g., Agriculture, Plant Science, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Soil Science, etc.).
- Excellent leadership skills, with the demonstrated ability to function in a fast-paced uncertain environment with minimal supervision.
- Passionate about delivering world-changing research with a global impact on climate change.
- Experience as a successful team leader in commercial research and development.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate high quality project planning, related functional planning, milestone tracking and R&D team execution.
- Demonstrated ability to translate scientific discoveries into commercial products and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to partner internally and externally.
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex scientific concepts to a range of diverse audiences.
- Experience in intellectual property management and technology transfer.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a passion for sustainable agriculture and environmental stewardship.
- Opportunity to lead a rapidly growing team at the forefront of a key area emerging area of innovation for agriculture and the environment
- Opportunity to play a key role in the Leadership Team of a fast-growing start-up with many opportunities for career advancement and impact on the company and its stakeholders (the world)
- Work alongside leading scientists and innovators in an international organisation
- Enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture
- Competitive compensation package