Field Officer, Casual
At Loam, we have the earth in our hands. As a team of scientists, farmers and entrepreneurs, we are on a mission to improve the world’s farmland and address climate change. We are developing microbial technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and build carbon in agricultural soils. We help farming businesses prosper by boosting yield and soil health and enabling access to carbon markets.
As a start-up with ambitious founders and investors, our work is fast-paced and multidimensional. We foster a supportive and diverse workplace, where every team member is encouraged to learn and grow beyond their area of expertise.
While everyone at Loam is working in different roles, we all have one job: to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and store it stably in farmer’s soils.
About the Role:
- Position Type: Casual, Seasonal
- Working Hours: 30-38 hours per week
- Hourly Rate: $31.60 per hour + Super
- Start Date: Early/Mid December
- Contract Duration: Until April 2024
The Field Officer will report to the leading Carbon Technical Officer and be responsible for the collection and processing of soil samples from a number of research and commercial sites. You will ensure the collection and analysis of samples is executed in a timely and efficient manner. Carbon Field Officers will also support Loam Bio’s research facilities in Orange, NSW both in the field and across the Carbon Team’s strategic priorities.
All aspects of remote field soil sampling across various locations in Australia. This includes troubleshooting in the field while following OH&S, being able to work autonomously safely and to a high standard. Responsibilities include:
- Collection of soil samples for carbon analysis in accordance with soil carbon sampling, soil science, and R&D methodologies and protocols
- Accurate collection and quality assurance of field data
- Ensuring upkeep and maintenance of all equipment, work space, vehicles and consumables
- Seed treating at sowing time applying Loam’s CarbonBuilder products to seed prior to sowing
- Maintenance and cleaning of field and plant sampling equipment and reorganisation of equipment and consumables for the next sampling event
- Direct day-to-day of any possible field assistance across the multiple teams
- Based in Orange NSW, with the ability to travel around regional NSW
- Ability to troubleshoot and handle contingencies as they arise, following Loam standard operating procedures and maintaining high integrity while working unsupervised
- A self-starter who can work independently as well as perform well in a team environment
- Willingness to travel to remote locations, nationally where required, and work on the road for extended periods of time
- Physically fit, willing, and able to perform laborious tasks associated with soil sampling production-oriented work ethic
- Flexibility in approach to work - you will be required to work across different environments and settings
- Safety awareness and ability to follow Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS)
- Drivers license and confidence with off-road driving (trailer towing experience preferred)
- Fast-growing start-up
- Work alongside leading scientists and innovators in an international organisation
- Enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture