Application Support Engineer (Remote, UK)
United Kingdom · Remote
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
We make Octopus Deploy.
We simplify complex software deployments so our customers can focus on what they do best and ship software on time without unwanted disruptions or surprises.
🐙235,000+ people use Octopus Deploy.
🐙600,000+ virtual machines run our Tentacle agent.
🐙300,000,000+ deployments to date.
🐙90% of support emails answered in 2 hours or less.
🐙Over 3,500 organisations use Octopus Deploy (curious? check this out)
Octopus Deploy is one of Australia’s fastest-growing software companies (and we’re taking on the world). After bootstrapping for a decade, in 2021, we quietly raised Australia's second largest ever venture capital raise, accepting a USD 172M minority investment from Insight Partners.
If you have a commitment to excellence, a desire to delight customers, and want to be a member of a growing team, you'll love this position.
This is a remote-first role based on the UK, working alongside our support teams in Australia and the USA.
Junior Application Support Engineer £36,750-£45,000 + stock options
Application Support Engineer £45,000-£55,000 + on call allowance (5%) + stock options
Senior Application Support Engineer £55,000-£70,000 + on call allowance (5%) + stock options
There may be a weekend on-call component to this role. This is a rotational schedule with times ranging from 8a-5p GMT on Saturday and Sunday. Please ask during the interview process if you have any questions or concerns.
A typical day might include:
- Help customers with any questions or problems they encounter via email, our support forum, community Slack and any other channels. Our customers are highly skilled DevOps Engineers, you won't be spending your time performing password resets and turning equipment off and back on again.
- Building CI/CD pipelines to replicate customer issues
- Use IaC and CaC to facilitate the rapid build and tear down of test environments
- Create resources such as how-to's, documentation, and blog posts to help our customers and the support team solve problems
- Be actively involved in the design of new features and other changes - any suggestions that you feel will reduce the support impact will be prioritised highly, and issues that appear in the support queue more than a couple of times will be fixed as a matter of priority
- Play a huge part in leading and growing our support capability as our business grows. Have ideas to make your job easier or provide a better customer experience? We want to hear them.
You’ll be a great fit for this role if:
- You have experience working with CI/CD pipelines.
- You have Cloud experience with Google, AWS or Azure
- You have hands-on experience with containerisation, preferably in a production environment.
- Knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Knowledge of *Nix operating systems
- Proven experience in technically complex, highly integrated enterprise environments
- You are a great communicator and can show examples of previous work (blog posts or documentation you've written, for example)
- You can relate to customers and show empathy when there are issues and can take responsibility for ensuring they get resolved
- You like to solve problems and ensure customers aren't just satisfied, but utterly delighted by your willingness to go the extra mile and help them
- You like to work in a team, as a team
- You can work from home and have a decent broadband connection capable of videoconferencing
- You are able to work outside of business hours when required. We value work-life balance and believe that working overtime just makes people less productive. We can’t guarantee that everything will fall neatly into business hours, so where required we encourage you to find balance by taking time out during the day.
Additionally, experience with any of the following is a big plus:
- Any programming or scripting language
- Any database technology
Why Is This A Great Opportunity?
- While providing direct customer support via email and other channels is a big part of this job, we'll also ensure you have enough time to be able to learn new things, create resources to reduce the support demand, and to think of ways to delight customers and improve our product. You'll have a defined area of knowledge that we expect you to master over time, you will not be expected to know everything for everyone.
- We'll provide the time, training, resources, and any support that you need to be effective.
- We'll provide a powerful laptop of your choice to ensure you can be productive along with any other tools that you need
- We offer great benefits, including generous laptop and home office allowances, plus stock options!
- We value transparency and fairness in every aspect of our business. For example, Paul (our CEO) shares monthly updates on company performance, and our pay structures are designed to pass the ‘printer test’.
- Trust and autonomy. Octonauts are treated like adults, and are trusted to find the best way of working for the task at hand, without managers looking over their shoulder.
- You’ll be joining a high-growth company with numerous opportunities to learn and advance your career.
- Remote first: work from wherever you feel most productive.
- We are a supportive company where everyone’s contribution is valued.
- We respect and encourage work/life balance.
- We’ve built an inclusive workplace culture and understand the true importance of culture-add, versus culture-fit.
- From day 1, you'll have a buddy helping you get your bearings. You can book in coffee chats with anyone in the company. We encourage everyone to have a voice in all aspects of the product and the business. So much so that we have an open chat policy (all channels are public by default) and everyone is welcome!
- Also when it comes to inclusivity, we mean it, check out our handbook!
- If you’d like to work at Octopus, reach out and say hello!
How To Apply:
- You must have ongoing unrestricted work rights in the relevant job ad location (UK).
- Submit a CV - your LinkedIn profile is also acceptable as long as it contains enough information for us to assess your fit for the role.
- We welcome any other relevant documents or portfolios necessary to showcase your skillset and why you think you’d be a great fit here at Octopus.
[Note to Search Firms/Agencies]
Octopus Deploy does not compensate search firms for unsolicited assistance unless they have a written search agreement with Octopus Deploy and the requisition is position-specific. Any resumes, curriculum vitae and other unsolicited assistance from search firms that do not have a written search agreement or position-specific requisition submitted to any Associate of Octopus Deploy will be deemed the sole property of Octopus Deploy and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Octopus Deploy.