Insurance Governance Manager
Say hello to insurance that works wonders. At Open, we’re on a mission to provide the best insurance experiences, at the best price, for the world. Insurance is one of the world’s least digitally mature industries - for years it’s remained confusing, paper-based and heavily intermediated. We launched in 2016 to build a global, AI-powered platform that digitises the entire insurance process, making it transparent, less costly and more reliable.
Our promise to customers is powerful car, home and travel insurance. Many know us through our consumer brand, Huddle (huddleinsurance.com), and we also offer bespoke white-label solutions for brands who embed our insurance into their digital experiences. Our partner brands include Bupa, Polestar, Telstra and ahm.
But the best is yet to come – we plan on doubling growth again while expanding to the UK. We also believe in using business as a force for good – Open is Australasia’s only certified B Corp insurance company and as a partner of 1% for the Planet, we commit at least 1% of our revenue every year for non-profits to invest in projects that generate a positive impact.
Open is backed by leading investors, including AirTree Ventures, Movac, LocalGlobe UK and Hollard Insurance and we’ve raised over $53m to date. Since 2018, we’ve achieved a 628% growth rate and have won awards from FinTech Australia, the Global InsurTech 100, Mozo.com.au, Pause Fest, SmartCompany’s Smart50 (5th) and the AFR Fast 100, who recognised us as Australia’s 7th fastest growing company in 2022.
Our team thrive on solving problems to revolutionise insurance and have a ‘no excuses’ attitude when it comes to putting our customers first. We have a high performing team and an open and enabling culture that attracts the best creative and critical thinkers. Join us and let’s build the future of insurance together.
What you’ll do
We are looking for an Insurance Governance Manager to develop, own and run a monitoring program of work focussed on managing adherence to Open’s underwriting mandates, product design and distribution obligations, pricing promises and general disclosures. This relates to all of Open’s current insurance offerings, Car, Home, Landlords and Travel insurance, and includes oversight across end-to-end processes to ensure business activities are calibrated to align with our obligations and requirements.
This role will report to the Chief Revenue Officer.
- Scope, design and implement a suite of exception reports to monitor alignment with underwriting guidelines, target market determinations, product design and distribution obligations more generally, pricing promises, and contractual obligations
- Perform testing to assess ongoing compliance with relevant underwriting guidelines and other requirements. This will include pre and post implementation testing, change management testing, and routine testing to identify if any activity is delivering outcomes that diverge from what is mandated or expected. This will include activities like testing Open’s quote-lines, reviewing website content, mystery shopping
- Research, investigate and document incidents and breaches to identify root causes and to inform and drive remediation efforts
- Work closely with Insurance Legal and Compliance to govern Open’s fulfilment of its regulatory obligations
- Build effective relationships across the business and create communication pathways so that you can effectively and efficiently get access to relevant context, explanations and information to perform analysis and solve problems
Who you are
- You have a strong understanding of risk, risk frameworks, risk mitigation strategies and controls (e.g. external or internal audit experience, risk & compliance experience working within organisations or as a consultant)
- Strong attention to detail, natural curiosity and an analytical mindset
- General insurance experience is preferable
It’s an exciting time to join our team and be part of a tech company that is solving some of the most exciting problems in Insurance. We provide our team with:
- Highly competitive compensation, including share options - we believe in paying people what they’re worth and having everyone in our company share in our success
- High levels of autonomy and trust so you can do your best work
- Growth opportunities internally - as you grow, your role can too
- Flexible working - we are about impact, not time at your desk. We encourage freedom and responsibility, including the ability to work from anywhere
- Annual allowance for professional development - use it towards a gym membership, professional coaching, a conference. Whatever matters most to you
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all employees.
Lastly, Open is a high-performing team that strives to achieve brilliant things every day and we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the job description. We’re looking for people who are intellectually curious, courageous, innovative and passionate. Our culture is truly open, we’re continuously challenging each other to live our values, and aren’t afraid to raise questions when we fall short. Most importantly, Open is for those that want to create change and have an impact. If that sounds like you, apply for this role and let’s build the future of insurance together.