Senior Data Analyst
Role Location: Sydney
Data @ Open
At Open (Open Technology Services Pty Ltd), we exist because we believe that insurance does not have to be seen as complicated or costly. Creating technology so that our customers can enjoy smart and intuitive insurance experiences is at the core of Open’s development philosophy. When we do this, we’re building modern infrastructure that brings the wonder into insurance.
The purpose of the BI team is twofold. Firstly, we aim to deliver performant, reliable and efficient data platforms for the collection, management and analysis of data. Secondly, we develop and advance machine learning algorithms that continually improve our products and services. By doing this we enable ourselves to make data-driven decisions and support data intensive applications. Our efforts form the link between science, research and insurance experiences.
What you’ll do
- Designing end-to-end insightful tableau dashboards for internal and external stakeholders, including leading insurance partners. Understand and define business requirements, and work closely with product, revenue, finance team, and developers.
- Effectively communicating with third-party stakeholders on data feeds provision, being responsible for solving stakeholders’ questions and concerns, and replying with clear answers, and proposals for solving cross-team technical issues.
- Solid understanding of pricing service data, liaise with third-party finance team for financial accounting reports, from schema design to data feeds integrations.
- Optimising existing report data models, and improving code modularity with software engineering best practices.
- Identifying and resolving reporting delay issues by SQL optimization, improving query efficiency by more than 99%.
- Onboarding new analysts, providing mentorship and code review.
- Managing and monitoring daily and monthly production CI/CD pipelines to ensure delivery success for both third-party data feed and report data models.
Finally, you’ll also have the opportunity to learn the insurance industry and understand the key differentiators that makes Open a key player in our space and why we will be successful on our mission.
What you’ll bring
- Have 3-5 years experience working with data
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to articulate highly technical concepts and insights, in a way that can be understood by stakeholders of varying degrees of technical literacy.
- Strong knowledge of statistics and experimental design. We need your data driven recommendations providing guidance on our experiments.
- Be a smart, strategic thinker who is great at solving problems (not just ones that involve numbers!)
- Strong competency with SQL- able to manipulate, analyse and model large volumes of data with a high level of accuracy.
- Experience using modern BI tools e.g. Tableau.
- Advanced skills in Excel / Google sheets
- Sound understanding of data structures, data modelling and data optimisation techniques.
It’s an exciting time to join our team and be part of a tech company that is solving some of the most exciting problems in Insurance. We provide our team with:
- Highly competitive compensation, including share options - we believe in paying people what they’re worth and having everyone in our company share in our success
- High levels of autonomy and trust so you can do your best work
- Growth opportunities internally - as you grow, your role can too
- Flexible working - we are about impact, not time at your desk. We encourage freedom and responsibility, including the ability to work from anywhere
- Annual allowance for professional development - use it towards a gym membership, professional coaching, a conference. Whatever matters most to you
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all employees.
Lastly, Open is a high-performing team that strives to achieve brilliant things every day and we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the job description. We’re looking for people who are intellectually curious, courageous, innovative and passionate. Our culture is truly open, we’re continuously challenging each other to live our values, and aren’t afraid to raise questions when we fall short. Most importantly, Open is for those that want to create change and have an impact. If that sounds like you, apply for this role and let’s build the future of insurance together.