Director, Private Label
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
At Pet Circle, we want to create a world where pets and their families are healthy, happy and spend more time together.
Over the past ten years, we’ve scaled to become one of Australia's Top 5 eCommerce companies and the No.1 player in the Online Pet industry. We will accelerate our growth as we continue on our mission to disrupt the way that pet parents discover and shop for the products they love.
The pet industry is booming (it’s a $15billion dollar industry!) and pets are holding bigger spaces in our hearts and homes than ever before. Online penetration of the pet industry is going to grow exponentially in the next 5 years. This is a unique opportunity in your career to be part of our exceptional growth story!
Founded and headquartered in Sydney, our team is now over 700 people strong and are based across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines.
As our Director of Private Label within our Merchandise function, you will have the opportunity to build and grow our private label brands across consumable and non-consumable categories. Our vision is to make products and brands our customers love that are only available at Pet Circle.
You will be adept at synthesising customer feedback and market data to ensure our own brands are strongly positioned in a very competitive landscape. You will lead strategic projects from end to end, including go-to-market and ongoing growth strategies. You will play a critical role in our mission to be the most loved pet brand, by helping pet parents, pet better.
• Own the Private Label P&L and work with your team to set the vision, objective and priorities for new product roadmaps.
• Influence executive decision makers, helping them to understand the brand, desired product positioning, key points of difference, and target customers.
• Full ownership and management of Pet Circle’s proprietary brand portfolio.
• Define proprietary brand strategy across all pet categories.
• Source and develop relationships with manufacturers and vendors to align production, raw materials, ingredients, packaging, and overall quality to each brands’ market position.
• Define projects’ scope, timelines, and outcomes, managing ongoing risks.
• Drive coordination with other functions or third parties to deliver projects to timeline.
• Develop go-to-market strategies for new launches and growth strategies.
• Understand market dynamics, including customer and competitor activity to be on the forefront of opportunities.
• Develop, report, and track KPIs to senior leadership at Pet Circle.
• Provide exceptional leadership to your team through coaching and facilitating development opportunities.
What Success Looks Like
• Undertake an extensive review of the current Private Label brand portfolio resulting in the definition of a clear roadmap to success.
• Effectively expand Pet Circle’s Private Label offering leading to increased revenue penetration and customer retention to PL brands.
• Demonstrate team leadership through exceptional talent management.
Your Ideal Skills and Experience
• Highly motivated, action-oriented individual who is ready to take on tangible P&L responsibility and make independent decisions.
• Previous experience managing, coaching and developing a team of people.
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves and be hands on to achieve outcomes.
• Demonstrated ability to work closely with others, both internally (within the Merch team and cross-functionally) as well as externally with supplier partners.
• Strong commercial acumen with exceptional excel expertise and communication skills.
• Proven experience building successful private label brands that provide a unique product and connect with customers.
• Building and developing products from concept through to GTM (own branded products in the food category would be a bonus!)
• Demonstrated commercial acumen with experience in identifying and improving profitability drivers.
• End-to-end project management including goal setting, scoping, setting timelines, and execution to the plan.
• Experience in using data driven analysis to identify and solve problems, build business cases, and negotiate.
• Experience working with external suppliers and influencing internal stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Business, Commerce, Marketing, Design.
At Pet Circle we believe that collaboration and team connection is key for success. This role will be based in Sydney with a blended working arrangement of 2 days in our pet friendly CBD offices and the remainder working from home (or the office, if you prefer!)
We’re passionate about what we do and our love for pets is the centre of our why. Becoming a pawsome Pet Circler means you’re committed to help shape an entire industry - pretty exciting stuff! We’re a stable, innovative and low-ego group of people who relish challenges and aren’t afraid to do what’s right. Here’s what we stand for;
• We’re Better Together
• We operate with Humble Hearts and Hungry Minds
• We truly believe that Pets Matter; pets and pet parents always have a seat at our table
• We’re Instinctively Curious. Always
What else is in it for you?
• A focus on you and your development - think learning tools, stretch projects, focus groups, secondments and other internal mobility opportunities!
• We’re committed to flexibility and understand that it means different things to different people.
• Your wellbeing is non-negotiable. We seek to provide a collaborative, caring and safe environment, allowing you to present your full self each day.
• Pet Better with up to 50% employee discount, product sample giveaways and Pawrental leave.
• Join us on our animal welfare mission: we donate 10,000kg of pet food and supplies per month to pet shelters and support our communities through team charity volunteer days.
We have an incredibly passionate team, a leading brand, over 700,000 customers and growing, and we’re only just getting started!
At Pet Circle, candidate experience is of utmost importance. We have been recognised as a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to responding to every application.
Belong at Pet Circle
Our unique expertise unites us to achieve our goal of helping pet parents, pet better. We value diversity in all forms and perspectives, always. Our global team is highly valued for all that they offer, we listen to each other and create a humble and inclusive environment for all to thrive. No matter your background, please apply if our roles ignite an excitement in you to bring your full self to work each day.