Melbourne VIC, Australia · Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2023
A little about us
Shippit is Australia’s best connected shipping software. Logistics infrastructure is a sophisticated beast, and we’re not only improving the experience for everyone involved, we’re impacting the planet in a positive manner: deliveries made through our platform are already 100% Carbon Neutral. Proudly Australian founded, we’re truly global in our approach and have the benefit of being a free moving startup with the security of impacting a growing industry that needs some love and attention. Our recent Series B2 cap raise of $65m has added to our ability to grow and solve some chunky problems.
Watch this - What we do
The role & the team
Data is core to how Shippit operates. Every scan and movement a parcel makes is a snippet of data. Through this, we have the opportunity to make delivery experiences faster, more delightful, and more environmentally friendly. The Data Squad at Shippit is a close-knit team that believes in constant, never-ending improvement–and we’d love to have you along for the ride. Some of our stack includes Snowflake, dbt, Fivetran, Looker, and Rudderstack, and we’re constantly looking for ways to improve our practice and the lives of our customers.
The Analytics Engineer is focused on ensuring data is transformed and fit for consumption across the business. This is a role that requires business acumen, a knack for efficiency and repeatability, a good sense of humour, empathy for our customers and community of data analysts–and most importantly, strong data chops.
The main purpose of this role is to create well-structured data models from a variety of sources, including the Shippit application, internal business systems (such as Zendesk, Salesforce, and Netsuite) and external sources of information (such as map layers). Transformations must be documented, version-controlled, and deployed with attention to CI/CD principles as well as usability. In addition, the Analytics Engineer must ensure that transformations accurately reflect business logic and requirements, working to synchronise definitions used in other parts of the Shippit ecosystem with the data warehouse.
This person must thrive in a rapidly evolving environment, have a deep interest in technology and SaaS, and have a strong interest in new and different ways of performing analysis. The data squad works cross-functionally and partners with different business functions to make sure they achieve their goals in an efficient and effective manner. As the Analytics Engineer, you will be providing the core foundational infrastructure in the warehouse to allow our community of analysts to thrive. Curiosity and tenacity are key to this role.
Day to day
* Custodian of dbt and the analytics warehouse, taking ownership of transformations and turning raw data into actionable information for teams across the business
* Subject matter expert on dbt, assisting data analysts in best practices
* Work closely with the Data and Analytics Manager to improve the state of the analytics warehouse, build data marts and fact tables to improve speed to insights
* Execute on definitions on data across the business and engineering practices for data instrumentation
* Continually consider and leverage additional dataset sources to improve the quality of findings and insights
* Document processes on data transformation from source to destination
* Assist in translating big picture goals into day to day accountability for the sales organisation and collaboration with cross-functional partners (e.g., Finance, Marketing, Product, Operations)
* Partner with teams across the business to understand what insights would be useful, and in collaboration with the Analytics team, plot a course of action to obtain those insights
Our ideal Shippster
* 3+ years of experience with dbt or another data transformation tool such as Matillion, Airflow, Alteryx, AWS Glue, or the like–bonus points if you were the primary custodian of the tool and its practice.
* Expert level knowledge of SQL–you’ve optimised queries before, know the difference between a CTE and a sub-query, and have very strong feelings on style.
* You consider yourself skilled on a next-generation BI tool or two (Shippit uses Looker) and you’ve worked with a cloud data warehouse before. Shippit uses Snowflake, but other solutions are acceptable.
* You have worked in a self-serve data environment within analytics and believe strongly in data democratisation.
* You’re able to find meaning in chaos and love helping teams cut through noise.
* Onboarding folks onto dbt–one of the most effective ways to learn is to have taught
* Python experience will help, particularly as we look to expand our use of it throughout our practice
* Operational experience in at least one area (such as customer support, finance, marketing operations, etc) will be exceptionally helpful–we’re on a journey to ensure data is activated by our teams and your ideas will assist here
* Knowledge of Rudderstack/Segment or similar event-stream instrumentation tool will assist greatly
* Knowledge of orchestrating data for MLOps pipelines
Life at Shippit
* Flexible Hybrid - ability to mix your working week between The Shippit office and your home office
* We are all builders - we share our successes! Be rewarded with our Employee Share Option Plan
* Family & Paw friendly - generous parental leave policy and pet friendly office
* Be Healthy - Wellbeing Policy with strong focus on whatever makes you feel good from inside out.
* Enrich your life - travel and explore the world through the flexibility to temporarily work anywhere, yes anywhere in the world for up to 2 weeks of the year
* Fuel your growth journey - Unlocking your potential with a blend of in person and online learning and development opportunities
* Be comfortable - Casual Friday everyday!
* We love to have fun - Team outings, weekly lunches, team events, loaded pantry and the list goes on…
Join our high-performance culture at Shippit where you can make a difference. We’re on a mission that needs the right #goodhumans to help make ship happen!
Shippit actively supports a diverse workforce at all levels of the company and we all embody the core values that make our business unique. We foster a culture of inclusion at Shippit and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to creating a workplace where everyone feels valued, respected and empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. Our mantra is to make ship happen, every single day.
We’re a phenomenal place to work, and we can back that up. Shippit’s been ranked as #6 Best Place to Work by AFR in 2023. . It doesn’t stop there, we have a whole bunch of accolades we earnt over the years which we are super proud of.
Watch this - Culture at Shippit
Our recruitment process - we don’t like to complicate things
1. Phone screening - nice and simple to start, let’s get to know each other.
2. Hiring Manager Interview - impress your potential new Manager.
3. Technical/ Functional Interview - let your skills do the talking.
4. Values Interview - have you got what it takes to be a Shippster?
Get in touch
Let's create something extraordinary and make ship happen! Apply now and join the Shippster family.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to responding to every applicant.