Senior Legal Counsel
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2023
Swyftx is an innovative FinTech scaleup, rapidly building a name for itself as Australia’s most feature-rich and best-priced digital currency exchange. With over 650,000 users and growing fast, we are building an exceptional, high-performance team to support this fantastic growth. We’re putting our people’s values, and our customer’s experience first, with our sights set on becoming Australia’s largest cryptocurrency trading platform and next billion-dollar success story.
To support our growth, Swyftx is searching for a Senior Legal Counsel who will act as a trusted partner and advisor to many areas of our business. You will report directly to our General Counsel. This is an excellent opportunity to gain hands on exposure to the legal, commercial and regulatory aspects of the most topical and cutting-edge area of FinTech.
Swyftx’s Legal Department strives to be the most progressive, sophisticated in-house legal team in the digital assets industry. You will contribute to that mission by being a highly motivated and forward-thinking lawyer who thrives in this fast-paced, complex environment. You have the confidence to pick up something and run with it, while having the awareness to proactively escalate matters when required. This role is ideal for someone who is passionate about the growth of the crypto asset / Web3 space and is keen to move into a role which offers variety and opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
Swyftx is proud to be an endorsed employer for all women. See our range of benefits and policies directly at WORK180: Swyftx - WORK180 Endorsed Employer
What you'll do:
- Oversee legal reviews of, and provide advice on, Swyftx’s product, marketing and sales initiatives.
- Review, negotiate and draft a variety of commercial agreements.
- Advise on compliance with applicable laws in a quickly evolving regulatory landscape, including Australian Financial Services Licensing laws.
- Provide support to the General Counsel on major projects and other corporate initiatives.
- Monitor regulatory change and report to the Executive on relevant matters.
- Develop processes and procedures for the efficient running of the Legal department.
- Work collaboratively and responsively with a broad range of colleagues and stakeholders, and develop trusted relationships to facilitate a coordinated team approach.
- Drive continuous improvements, scalability and operational excellence in corporate legal processes and execution. This includes lending support to the company’s maturation of its governance, risk management and compliance practices.
- Managing matters briefed to external lawyers.
- Provide support and mentoring to junior staff.
Who you are:
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with the ability to break down complex legal jargon into clear and practical advice.
- Admitted to practice in an Australian jurisdiction with approximately 5+ years of post-qualification experience, preferably from a top-tier law firm and/or related in-house environment.
- Experience with commercial contracts, ideally gained from a corporate or technology-focused practice group.
- Strong knowledge of the regulatory landscape for Australian FinTechs, including AML/CTF, financial services licensing, consumer protection, marketing, privacy and cyber security regimes.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, the crypto regulatory landscape attributing to Swyftx’s policy positioning.
- A mindset of ownership, initiative and fast learning in this continuous developing landscape.
Some of our perks and benefits include:
- Unlimited fee-free trading.
- Career growth, training, mentorship, and development opportunities.
- Social activities, game breaks and end of month awards.
- Fully stocked kitchen, breakfast and lunch foods, unlimited fresh fruit, snacks and kombucha.
- Weekly catered lunches on a Wednesday.
- Swyftx supports a hybrid working environment.
Life at Swyftx
You will experience first-hand what it means to say “I did that” as you watch your ideas and visions become a reality, impacting thousands of people every day. We are a culture that values learning and training, career growth and setting our people up for success.
At Swyftx we are focused on creating a diverse and dynamic environment that embraces and values differences. We value the variety of unique experiences, qualities and characteristics that our people possess, and we are committed to providing a working environment where everyone is included and treated with respect.
Interested? Please hit the 'Apply Now' button and we look forward to hearing from you.
You will have the rights to legally work in Australia, sponsorship options are not available for this role.
We have an internal Talent Acquisition function, and therefore are not accepting approaches from recruitment agencies.
See more open positions at Swyftx
Something looks off?