Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Why work for us
We're not just like every other bank. Tyro has always been a tech company at heart, but fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, and a passion for continuous learning has always been one of the most important parts of our company's culture.
Tyros are a highly collaborative mix of people. You will work closely with our awesome teams and individuals in engineering, product management, customer support, sales and other functions within the business. Our strong team of 600+ Tyros, just like our customers, are the lifeblood of our business. We go to great lengths to ensure a positive and enjoyable employee experience for all. Everyone is committed to delivering great outcomes for our customers, and you will have the chance to change the face of payments and commerce for Australian businesses.
🎥 Take a look here what it's like to work at Tyro
About the role
The position of Legal Counsel forms a critical part of Tyro's tight-knit and impactful Legal Team who work closely with all of Tyro’s business units. The Legal Team are regularly involved in cross-functional projects working towards delivering new products and solutions for Tyro’s customers. This role will report to a Senior Legal Counsel and work closely with other members of the Legal Team and the General Counsel.
What you'll do
- Give accurate and timely counsel to business stakeholders, covering a variety of legal areas, including financial services, commercial contracting, privacy, data, regulatory matters and intellectual property
- Work closely with Tyro’s business units to deliver new products and initiatives
- Review and advise on commercial contracts and marketing materials
- Monitor developments in the legal and regulatory environment
- Assist in the development of policies, procedures and training programs for staff on relevant legal issues
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations
- Communicate and negotiate with counterparties
- Uphold and contribute to Tyro’s strong risk culture by complying with our policies, completing mandatory training and identifying and managing risks within your day-to-day work
What you'll bring
- Ideally 1-3 years post-qualification experience (PQE)
- A current NSW practising certificate
- Strong drafting, critical thinking and negotiation skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and escalations
- Ability to provide commercially focused legal support
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to stakeholders at all levels including senior management
- Interest in process improvement and efficiency (including adoption of technology-enabled solutions)
- Demonstrated legal experience in financial services, technology media and telecommunications, privacy or data also highly regarded
Perks & Benefits
We offer some amazing employee benefits such as a flexible working environment with a mix of in-office and remote working, learning & development opportunities for professional and personal development, 16 weeks paid primary carers leave, 12 weeks paid secondary carers leave, annual team based volunteer day, novated leasing, social events which includes multiple craft beer kegs (selection of beers carefully selected by our beer connoisseurs), wide selection of wine, variety of snacks and a ping pong table, selection of board and video games and many more!
Launching in 2003, Tyro has grown to become Australia’s largest EFTPOS provider of all ADIs outside the big four banks. With over 600 staff, $34 billion in transactions in FY22, we’re much more than an EFTPOS provider – Tyro is an Australian bank and operates under the supervision of the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). With 10 industry firsts to market, Tyro is a leader in credit, debit and EFTPOS card acquiring, Medicare and private health fund claiming and rebating services to Australian businesses.
Wow the Customer - We love our customers and we want them to love us too.
Be Good - We're open and transparent, and we do the right thing - even when nobody's watching or it's really hard.
Commit to Greatness - We think big, move fast and dare to be different. We're always asking "what's next?"
Stay Hungry - We ooze passion and determination and we play as a team to win.
Win Together - We are a united team. With growth mindsets and without ego, we embrace diversity to collaborate, innovate and accelerate.
Privacy and Submitting your Application
Tyro does not accept unsolicited agency CV’s. Please do not forward resumes to the team if you are not one of our listed preferred recruitment partners. Tyro is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are a Circle Back Initiative Employer and commit to responding to every applicant.