Graduate Software Engineer - Backend
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
About the role
Tyro are are now looking to welcome a Graduate Software Engineer to be a member of our Engineering team! You will work closely on either our payments or banking products. We employ Agile methods, and you’ll work in a collaborative team. As a key member of the development team, you will work closely with designers, product managers, and other stakeholders to define and execute on our vision and values. Whilst based in Sydney, you will report to the Delivery Lead.
What you'll do
- Be a part of the collaborative and iterative software development cycle from inception to delivery
- Work in a paired-programming environment with smart engineers
- See Agile and Lean practices/principles applied in the real world
- Be a part of a welcoming, light-hearted and highly collaborative team
- Obtain exposure to emerging technology patterns and frameworks, including: - Cloud service design and infrastructure (Amazon AWS) - RESTful JSON application interfaces and integration
- Gain exposure to DevOps infrastructure and practices as we take code all the way through to production
- Gain real-world knowledge and understanding of working in the fintech space
- Learn how to integrate with third-party systems, either with established protocols, or helping to develop new ones
- Uphold and contribute to Tyro’s strong risk culture by complying with our policies, completing mandatory training and identifying and managing risks within your day-to-day work
What you'll bring
- Pursuing a degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Passionate about writing great quality software with eagerness to learn
- Ability to communicate well and work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to think critically and solve problems
- Proven working experience in Java/Kotlin or other object oriented languages
- Passion for creating quality software and up to date on new technologies
To apply for this opportunity, please include a cover letter with some information about your Payments domain knowledge and/or experience (if any) and why Tyro speaks to you.
We'd also love to see a link to your portfolio.
Why work for us
We want to work in the company of supportive and inclusive people. To that end, we value and respect employees of all backgrounds, cultures, gender identities, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, and all other characteristics that create a varied and representative team of humans. All applicants will be considered fairly, so if you feel in your bones that you're right for this role, please apply!
Culture and Perks
We offer competitive graduate salary and some amazing employee benefits such as learning & development opportunities for professional and personal development, 16 weeks paid primary carers leave, 12 weeks paid secondary carers leave, annual team based volunteer day, long service leave program, novated leasing, and a Short Term Incentive Program to name a few.
You will work autonomously, and will be trusted to make your own decisions and prioritise effectively. You will report to a manager, and support will always be there if you need it, but we don't micro-manage.
This role is full time and we offer a flexible hybrid working arrangement. You'll be provided with a laptop and all the tools and support you need to succeed.
We're not just like every other bank. Tyro has always been a tech company at heart, fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, and a passion for continuous learning has always been one of the most important parts of our company's culture.
Who we are
Launching in 2003, Tyro has grown to become Australia's largest EFTPOS provider of all ADIs outside the big four banks. With over 500 staff, $20.1 billion in transactions in FY20, we're much more than an EFTPOS provider – Tyro is an Australian bank and operates under the supervision of the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). With 10 industry firsts to market, Tyro is a leader in credit, debit and EFTPOS card acquiring, Medicare and private health fund claiming and rebating services to Australian businesses. Find out how you can be a part of the Tyro journey today.
We love a reference portfolio - even if that's just a hobby project. If you have contributed to open source projects, charitable organisations or progressed personal projects, please send us a link to your project github/gitlab/bitbucket page, website or app.
Privacy and Submitting your Application