Principal Engineer (Connected Workplaces)
Remote · New Zealand
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
As a Principal Engineer at Xero, you will be a driving force within your product portfolio, providing a shining light of engineering excellence and leadership that other engineers aspire to and want to emulate. The people around you will grow in capability and confidence by working with you!
This role is a great fit for you if you aren’t afraid of a #Challenge, with a keen eye for detail and a passion for creating #Beautiful cloud-based scalable products. You’ll be a strong communicator with the ability to influence others in a #Human way and you will take #Ownership of your product portfolio and guide your #Team to greatness.
We don't mind if you come from a background of software engineering, quality, infrastructure / DevOps, or any other technical discipline. We value people with a broad set of skills, who can share their wealth of knowledge with others to drive change and growth at Xero as we continue to grow.
In this role you’ll be working within the Connected Workplaces Engineering Enablement portfolio. Our products and services are for the internal Engineering customer. Broadly, we are multiple teams working towards enabling our Product Engineering teams to deliver value to customers more quickly, more safely, while happier.
We're looking for Engineers to help us deliver on our greatest ambitions, whilst driving the highest standards of engineering excellence.
You’ll lead software engineering excellence by:
- Coaching & mentoring our engineers to reach their full potential
- Translating architecture into a technical vision and roadmap across the domain, and assist in implementing that vision over time
- Collaborating with many other technically-minded Xeros to deliver on best engineering practices
- Ensuring the right tool/framework/technique is used for the right job
- Championing, driving, and evolving Xero’s engineering principles & practices
- Providing thought leadership and guidance on security, scalability & performance, monitoring & alerting, analytics, documentation and quality
- Comfortable with architecting relevant solutions to achieve prioritised customer outcomes
What you'll bring with you:
- Broad technical knowledge from a product environment
- Track record of developing software that is secure, performant and scalable
- A passion for coaching and mentoring engineers
- Ability to influence and lead others to a great outcome
- Capable of architecting, designing and implementing customer focused software solutions
- A curious mindset and ability to bring abstract ideas to life
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.