Senior Engineer - Infrastructure
Remote · New Zealand
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
What you will do:
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer will be in a team of Infrastructure engineers, working alongside Developers, Principle Engineers and Product Managers..
This role will be responsible for ensuring our infrastructure and tooling are an enabler of organisational scale and agility. Specifically, that we have robust and automated processes that move code from commit, through build and automated quality assurance processes, to deployment to staging environments and thereafter into production environments. To do so the role will need to have knowledge and experience of relevant technologies used throughout the SDLC. Such as source control systems (in particular Git), build tools (such as Jenkins), deployment tools (such as Terraform, docker etc) and monitoring tools (such as New Relic, Cloudwatch, Sumologic, etc).
This role is also responsible for ensuring the products that the team is responsible for are available, secure, scalable, robust, high performing and cost-effective to serve both Xero customers and partners. This will require knowledge and experience across a broad range of technology domains including networking, O/S (especially Linux), docker and AWS ECS, .NET core, EventStore and/or Postgres. It will also require knowledge of PaaS and IaaS services offered by AWS.
What you’ll bring:
- Hands-on experience managing cloud infrastructure in a high-availability environment, preferably Linux and Docker technologies, and preferably AWS
- Comfortable with Agile methodologies
- Successful track record of providing tooling and support for multiple development teams
- Ideally experience with improving release processes and deployment pipelines using approaches like blue/green deployments, canary releases and testing in production
- Have experience building and maintaining highly available systems ideally with Systems such as Terraform or Cloudformation
- Experienced working in a DevOps, Release Engineering, Development, or similar role
- Ideally good experience with Test-driven or Spec-driven testing and QA practices
- Strong experience with Linux administration, and Infrastructure management
- Experience and a passion for mentoring junior team members
In addition we’re also looking for:
- Experience in a range of languages (.Net, Python)
- Able to make code design decisions for individual products
- Proficient in the architecture and implementation of distributed systems. Ability to refactor complex, monolithic systems into scalable, resilient components.
- Proficient with CI/CD concepts and tooling
- Strong advocate for automated tooling to safely and repeatedly release code
- Ability to review and coordinate team processes to improve quality and strengthen feedback loops
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.